Thursday, May 28, 2009

Be Still, Child

My adorable children can not sit still for more than 5 seconds, that is unless they're watching Dora the Explorer. And can you blame them, they're both still in diapers and were born with built-in Energizer batteries (which I have yet to find where they've been installed). Chasing one of them is exhausting enough let alone having both of my raccoons loose in the house. Try catching a two year old running out the back door while your 18 month old gymnast attempts a dismount off the living room desk. So I've decided to begin practicing meditation so that I can increase self-awareness of my mind, body, and spirit and to reduce the daily stress of juggling housework, kids, and school.

I know next to nothing about meditating, and I love it. Why? Because I get to dive into and embrace a whole new side of Myself that I've never encountered before. I've recently picked up Wherever You Go, There You Are by Jon Kabat-Zinn to help guide me in these new waters. I have set aside some time early in the morning and late at night while the kids sleep to practice my meditation in the garage. As I stated earlier I'm a complete newbie at meditating, I don't have a clue to proper breathing, sitting, or focusing. For now I just sit and focus on my breathing until I begin refining my methods. What initially attracted me to meditation is that it transcends religion as a practical method of being "in touch with where we already are" in life (Wherever You Go, There You Are, p. xiii).

Meditation doesn't have to be spiritual, although it can be, yet I hope to gain both practical and spiritual benefits from my daily practice. I hope to also learn more about my mind and body in silent inward reflection. I have no clue what, if any, benefits I may gain by sitting in silence for a few minutes everyday. It might take weeks, months, or even years before I see any changes or benefits but at least I will grant myself some time to be still. To simply Be.

No comments:

Post a Comment