Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The Outcast

I've been watching Star Trek: The Next Generation for the last couple months on Netflix when I came across an incredible scene in the episode entitled "The Outcast" and its commentary on LGBT rights. In this episode Commander Riker falls for a member of an androgynous species called the J'naii who later reveals she is actually female.



Of course when this episode originally aired back in 1992 I had no idea there was anything outside of heterosexuality (I was in the 2nd grade). But I just find it troubling that even nearly 20 years later that we are still debating whether or not these "deviants" should even be understood let alone allow them to equal rights.

2 comments:

Paul Sunstone said...

Progress is slow, but it's being made. The statistician Nate Silverman believes that, if current trends continue, gay marriage will be a reality in all 50 states within a decade or two. That's not soon enough, but at least that's the apparent trend.

Sabio Lantz said...

I hadn't seen that episode. Interesting! My kids get thought of as "deviants" at school for being atheists.

Post a Comment