Sunday, February 15, 2009

Happy Death Day!

Today is the day I was brought into the world. 25 years ago I was unable to properly focus my eyes or understand the sounds that were bombarding my newly fashioned ears. I was born without any prejudice, hatred, or misconceptions. In fact, the only things I was born with were genetic instincts and a strong attachment to my mother. My wife, the Super Nurse, would be able to explain that I'm drawn to my mother based on a chemical or hormonal reaction. Most of her medical explanations fly right over my head despite all attempts, nonetheless the birth of another soul into our world is always a time for rejoice. So much so that we celebrate it every year until the day of our death when the celebration stops and we mourn the soul that leaves us. Wherever the soul departs to (if the soul even exists) we do not know, but it should also be a time for celebration.

We should celebrate our Death Day as much as we do our Birth Day. Before birth we were part of the cosmos, we had no individual consciousness, but during birth (or should I say conception) we are ripped from that unity with the universe and enter into the Human Experience. That unity splinters into smaller and smaller pieces with each new soul that joins us. Humans try to regain that lost unified feeling so we interact with each other and form families, communities, tribes, and nations. Whenever we create bonds with other souls we feel a faint echo of that Prebirth unity until that bond is broken by death. Some of us hope to reunite with each other, one day returning to our original state. Some call this the Afterlife, I call it a return to our Prelife. Whatever the return has in store for us nobody knows, but I believe the transition from this life into the next is just as important, and should be just as joyful, to the soul as on the day of our birth. So whenever I do pass on I wish my future self a very happy Death Day!

Genesis 3:19 (NIV)

19 By the sweat of your brow
you will eat your food
until you return to the ground,
since from it you were taken;
for dust you are
and to dust you will return."

No comments:

Post a Comment