Wednesday, December 23, 2009

TV: Toddler Vision

My 3 year old son has incredible eyesight who he must get from his mother (I'm as blind as a bat), and coupled with his enthusiastic personality makes for some interesting trips to the store. He has to point out EVERYTHING. If it comes into his range of vision he has to comment on it.

"Look daddy a car! Look daddy, is that a cat? Look daddy a tree, a tree! Look daddy, DADDY!!!"
And if he doesn't know what an object is called, he soon finds out after asking his daddy. "What's that daddy? Daddy? Daddy what's that over there? No, over there?"

One day we were walking through Wal-Mart, his favorite store, when he yelled out, "Look daddy! A Mickey Mouse balloon!" I stopped looked up and couldn't see anything. I asked him to point it out and he kept pointing towards the empty ceiling. In these situations I just humor him and keep moving but I was worried: is my son seeing things or is my vision getting worse? I stood there for 3 minutes, which is an eternity if you're staring at a ceiling, and could not see it for the life of me. My son then started yelling for me to acknowledge that I had also seen the balloon.
"Yes son, I see it." but he didn't believe me and people started to stare as my son continued to yell. And right before I had a chance to raise my voice at him to calm down there it was. It was a red Mickey Mouse balloon that had gotten loose from the party supplies aisle and was wedged behind a light fixture. I could have sworn it wasn't there a minute ago but there it was. I apologized to my son and was relieved that not only was my son not imagining things he has incredible vision.

How much more then would we see, hear, touch, and feel if we only gave as much attention to our surroundings as our children? And with their enthusiasm, what great things would we be able to accomplish and experience in life? My children are rarely bored and are constantly interacting, experimenting, and examining the world around them. I know I find myself bored sometimes, yet why should we ever be bored? There is an amazing world waiting to be discovered, when did we lose our passion and enthusiasm for discovery? And how do we gain that passion back so that we may truly enjoy life?

2 comments:

Don said...

You have spoken well, Grasshopper!

Jason said...

You have a great blog. I'm a first-time visitor, but I'm impressed. I have a blog myself where people come from around the world and debate on popular issues. I'm saying this because I know you could provide some valuable insight to the visitors and the other debaters.

I also would like to exchange links with you to help spread some traffic around. We deserve it. If you accept, please submit a comment under my "Compadres" page letting me know when you've placed my link on your site and I'll return the favor.

Jason
DEBATEitOUT.com

Post a Comment