Monday, November 10, 2008

Mr. Deity

Warning!

The following material may be offensive with those who are uncomfortable with religious humor. It is not my (nor the creators) intent to offend but to entertain. If you are fine with religious humor then continue reading, if not, you've been warned. Enjoy.



Mr. Deity Episode 1: Mr. Deity and the Evil








Mr. Deity Episode 2: Mr. Deity and the Really Big Favor








So, what do you think? Now, I thoroughly enjoy this show precisely because they don't attack religion (in fact this show does not attack religion at all) with grotesque, over the top, crude humor found in South Park and Family Guy (although I do enjoy watching both of these shows). So, how may it be offensive? Because this show plays off of a certain religious view (Christianity mostly) and these views of God are considered completely SACRED to some people. Note: They are not poking fun at God or the Christian view of God but are using certain Christian theological statements and articles of faith as a vehicle (along with humor) to make a point about certain questions that all religions try to answer. Why does evil exist? Why is there sin? Why does God Punish people in Hell? Why does God not answer my prayers? The list goes on and on.

We watched a few of these in my religion class on Tuesday and I thought they were hilarious. I had to restrain myself from laughing too hard and looking like a fool. I believe this show raises some thought provoking questions outside of the "theological box" while also entertaining the audience. I believe they are also in talks with HBO to make this into a show but I haven't read anything recent on their progress.

By the way, if you do find religious humor offensive and did not heed the warning then you might be a little peeved right now, so all I can say is well, deal with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment