Sunday, December 7, 2008

Gay Marriages will Save the Economy

I first saw a clip of this "Prop 8: The Musical" on Keith Olbermann. I thought it was hysterical so I decided to share it with those that haven't seen it.

See more Jack Black videos at Funny or Die



"That wasn't right, that's a lie."
"But it works so we don't care."

The end justifies the means. Can we really use any means necessary to pass laws in this country? Even as long as it helps to bring about a morally upright and better society?

[Excerpt taken from Wikipedia]

The proponents argued for exclusively heterosexual marriage and claimed that failure to reverse a Supreme Court ruling from May 2008 that recognized a right of same-sex couples to marry would damage society, require changes to a school curriculum to discuss same-sex marriage, and threaten the free exercise of religion. The opponents argued that eliminating the rights of any Californian and mandating that one group of people be treated differently from everyone else was unfair and wrong.

Now I can look up and quote all the Bible verses, or verses in the Qu'ran that relates to Homosexuality and look up all the medical evidence in the world but we can be here all day. And it would be an intriguing subject to spend hours researching whether or not Homosexuality is "sinful".

To be honest there are dozens of other issues that are more likely to damage society than whatever relationship a same gender couple has. I know this is a very very touchy subject and we may not see eye to eye but the fact of the matter is this issue does not relate to me and my family. It does not directly affect me if the government recognizes a gay couple or not. It's not the end of the world. There are gay couples right now that have lived their entire lives together in love that have not been married. They don't affect my daily life either.

Now someone might say, "Well your children might grow up to be gay if they legalize gay marriage". Fine. If my children turn out gay (and i'm using the word gay from now on because it's much shorter than homosexual) then I will still love them with every ounce of my being.

Why do people marry?

[Excerpt taken from Wikipedia]
People marry for many reasons, but usually one or more of the following: legal, social, and economic stability; the formation of a family unit; procreation and the education and nurturing of children; legitimizing sexual relations; public declaration of love; or to obtain citizenship.

So if a gay couple chooses to get married (if that choice is available) it's because they want to enter into a contract, a commitment. Others may disagree and I welcome that but I can not look someone in the eye and say "You can not be allowed to enjoy a lifelong relationship as I do with my lovely and caring wife". I can not deny someone all the joys one experiences in a married life. Now if California chooses to keep or disgard its same sex marriage laws then fine, it doesn't affect me. Even if (which I don't see this happening in my lifetime) they choose to pass same sex marriage laws in Tennessee then fine, it doesn't affect me. Why doesn't it affect me? I'm not gay.

Is it a lifestyle choice? I honestly don't know and even if it is there are hundreds of other "lifestyle choices" that are sinful to the eyes of the Lord. Liars, adulterers, gossipers, the list goes on and on. So should I be worried about the "sins" of others or should I be more loving towards my fellow man and worry about my own sins?

To quote Jack Black/Jesus "Please choose love instead of hate..."

No comments:

Post a Comment