Sunday, December 7, 2008

Mikaeel Jackson

I know I've been busy with birthdays, finals, and traveling for the holidays but where was I when Michael Jackson converted to Islam last month? You would think the media would be all over this since he's a celebrity but then again it is Michael Jackson. I guess they were too busy covering O.J. Simpson, President-Elect Obama, and aliens.

(CNN did a whole week of alien stories for some reason.)



At first I thought Michael Jackson was on another one of his wacky adventures and I still have trouble believing it mainly because the story is hard to find so it may be a rumor.

Regardless of whether he is a Muslim or not, if he were what would that mean? You hear various stories about celebrities and their spiritual practices but how does that relate to you and me? Do they become spokesmen and representatives of their faiths? Should they partake in inter-faith dialogue? Can you imagine an inter-faith conference with Tom Cruise (Scientology), George Lucas (Buddhist Methodist?), Madonna (Kabbalah), and Mikaeel Jackson (Islam)?

Celebrities are people too and have every right to believe (or not believe) in whatever faith they choose.
But a final word to all celebrities, to quote a well known superhero, "with great power comes great responsibilities." -Spiderman (Protestant).

No comments:

Post a Comment